Sunday, November 04, 2012

Halloween 2012

Ellie is too young for trick-or-treating, but we take her on a wagon ride every night after dinner, so we wanted to be able to do it on Halloween in costume.  Jen Wheeler sent me the link to an awesome costume that incorporated the wagon, and I was instantly sold!  Pete soon jumped on board, and our family costume for Halloween 2012 was in the planning stages.  We were really really happy with how it turned out.


For my part, Ellie's costume was pretty simple.  I bought a gray sweatsuit, seam-ripped off the existing applique, and sewed on a little pink tummy and some pink and gray ears.  I also added a tail I whipped up with some gray velvet and polyfil (with a little button over the shoulder so Ellie girl wouldn't have to drag it behind her.)  The tail was the most labor-intenstive part - that little sucker was a beast to fill with stuffing!

Fiona's cheese costume was a few blocks of floral foam glued together, carved out, and spray painted yellow.  I sewed a little black felt jacket for Fi and hot-glued the cheese to it.

Pete made our little mouse trap (though I made template for the logo!), and I think he did a fabulous job!  He built it the Sunday before Halloween in our basement, then was up Tuesday night until midnight spray-painting it in the garage.

Ellie was terrified of her mouse trap (shocking, I know), so she went down the street with her daddy like this.  I pulled the wagon and walked the cheese.


After we walked our wagon-route, we dropped Fi off at the house and walked another block over to our friend Audrey's house.  Her mom and dad were hosting all the girls Ellie's age (and their parents) for dinner.


Then we headed back to our house for dessert.  I had made pumpkin cheesecake and these really awesome black and orange whoopie pies of which I failed to take a picture.  They looked very festive.  Ellie REALLY enjoyed hers.


Once the sugar was flowing in the girls' bloodstreams, they all seemed to migrate toward the staircase.  Some of the girls are newer to stairs than others, and it quickly became the place to be.


Around eight o'clock all the girls were buzzing and up past their bedtimes on a weeknight, so everyone headed home.  Ellie had one last shenanigan up her sleeve, then we carted her off to bed as well.  

Best part of Halloween 2012?  As Ellie and I headed out the door Thursday morning for daycare and work, I had to remind Pete to fully remove his whiskers before walking into his account in Cincinnati :-)

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

It turned out great, even better than the original pic from pinterest! I think it was your attention to detail (Fiona as cheese and parents with mouse ears) that made it more fun!