Saturday, January 25, 2014

Caroline: Months three and four.

 

Last week our little Caroline turned fourth months old!  Time. Is. Flying. 
  
She continues to be a very cheerful baby, waking with coos and goos instead of cries.  Her cheeks and thighs are as chunky as can be, as attested to by her official 4-month-checkup stats:

weight:  16lbs, 7oz (94%)
length:  26  1/4 inches (97%)

In her third and fourth month Caroline started to enjoy tummy time a little more, and used the jumperoo for the first time.  She has started using the Bumbo.  She was a cross-country travler, riding up to Pennsylvania for Thanksgiving and to Texas for Christmas.  The day she turned four months, Caroline finally grabbed her toes!  She had been grabbing her knees and calves, but grabbed on to her piggies while we were in the exam room with the pediatrician (such a show off).  She hasn't rolled all the way over yet (from back to front), mostly because she will start sucking her thumb once she gets on her side and then fall asleep.  She rolled front to back once in the middle of tummy time, but I think it was a fluke.  Caroline has also started to use a lovey in the past few weeks.  Raffie the Giraffe is probably number one, but coming in closely for second and third favorites are her yet-to-be-named turtle lovey, and BeBe the Bumble Bee.  Four months brought on an official bedtime and actual naps.  We've been putting Caroline to bed at 8:30pm and she usually sleeps through the night until about 6:30 or 7:00am.  She'll take a morning nap around 9:00am and then one or two additional naps in the afternoon.  (She and Ellie are currently napping simultaneously - a miracle - holla!!)



Likes: Her sister!!  Better head control allows Caroline to look at Ellie whenever she is in the room, and her face usually lights up with a huge grin.  She also reacts similarly when Fiona lies down next to her.  Bath time - and the body oil/massage that follows.  Sucking her thumb and pulling objects to her mouth.  Having schmutz rubbed on her face (usually non-petroleum jelly).  Baby yoga and joint squeezes (they make her squeal in delight)!

Dislikes:  Being put in her car seat.  Short car rides.  Getting dressed.  Wearing socks.

Notes from Mommy:  I am actively trying to soak up all the precious time that I have with Caroline at this age.  My maternity leave was supposed to end when she turned four months old, but Pete and I have decided to extend it until she is a year old.  We think that is what will work best for our family.  I love being home and being able to nurse on demand.  I love sniffing her head and rubbing her fuzzy (red!) hair in my nose.  The way her face lights up when she sees me in the morning is something I hope to never forget.  Watching Ellie run over to her crib and peek over the side to say, "Good Morning sweet little Caroline!" and "She's my baby sister, I love her," these are all things I don't want to miss.
     I feel like I am finally adapting to parenting two small children.  We saw some friends at the club when Santa was there, and they also have two young children.  The mom said it took until the baby was 4-5 months old before she felt like she was doing any more than treading water each day.  I would agree with that statement.  We have eaten food I have cooked at least 5 days of the week for the past two weeks.  Prior to that, it was maybe three.  I've started exercising again (albeit only one day/week).  I've been doing my hair (somewhat) and putting on makeup (ish).  I am making crafty things with Ellie on her days home and have started planning her birthday party.  I still hesitate to take them both out by myself for any more than a grocery run, and potty training just might be death of me, but we have gotten into somewhat of a stride.
     I think I've written something like this before, but I am continually amazed at how awesome it is to be a mammal.  I have now grown two people (two!) in my body and am able to nourish them for the first year of life with relatively little effort on my part.  It's not a matter of personal pride, I just think it's wonderful what the human body is able to do and then put itself back together.  I wish I could ask my mom about it, if she ever thought it over and marvelled, 'Wow, I gave birth to three babies, my body is amazing!'  Knowing my mom, she never thought much about it and just went about her daily life.  (She would probably tell me I was silly for even thinking about it at all.)  Every day I find it hard to believe or quantify just how much I love this squishy second girl of ours.  The Crawford family feels complete.  and happy.  and lucky.  and loved.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Caroline is getting so big! Your girls are so lucky to have you home with them, even though I know that isn't always easy. I'm happy that you're happy! (And I'm glad Raffie is loved!)

Pocket said...

Awesome update!! I'm so jealous that you have a breast fed 4 month old who sleeps all night!! Please come be my personal sleep assistant for the months of August - November of this year :) Loved your personal thoughts, too! I remember being so worried about adding a child, then suddenly realizing this second baby was supposed to be ours all along and feeling like everything just "fit!" And hooray for a year at home!!!! So glad you're taking more time. Congratulations on keeping two sweet girls alive and well :)

Tammy said...

That's a great update Laura! They are both just adorable. I'm so glad you get to spend this first year at home. Time just goes too quickly.

Peggy G. Wheeler said...

Your girls are absolutely adorable. Ellie is growing up and is a great big sister.
I have two big sisters, they are the best.
I am so ready to meet sweet Caroline. She has cheeks that I want to kiss.
I know your Mom is up in heaven saying, "That's my girl. I am so proud of her."
Kiss your pretty girls and your hubby for me.
Virtual Hug and kiss.