Sunday, May 08, 2011

The Trifecta of all Weekends

If you live in Kentucky, this was a pretty big weekend - we had the Derby on Saturday, Mother's Day on Sunday, and the University of Kentucky Commencement services today as well.

Pete told me he wanted to spend Sunday celebrating Mother's Day, and I was unable to attend my graduation ceremony today since Ellie is so young, so we celebrated my graduation on Friday night. Pete got me a cake from Martine's - yum!

As of this afternoon I hold my Master's in Communication Disorders so I can write the following letters after my name: M.S., CF-SLP. Three years of hard work paid off!!

Saturday morning we went to the farmer's market and wore Ellie in her Baby Bjorn for the first time - we loved it!! Saturday evening we headed over to Ben and Emily's for a Derby party. Last year I found the greatest outfits at Grandma and Grandpa's neighborhood rummage sale.

Two jockey silks complete with hats!! Ellie came as our little horse. We thought it was hilarious and assured Ellie this would not be the last time we embarrassed her.

Then today was my first Mother's Day. My first treat was Pete taking Ellie downstairs after her 6:00am feeding so I could sleep another 2-2 1/2 hours, how nice! Then around nine Pete brought Ellie back upstairs with his laptop so we could watch UK's commencement ceremony live online. I got to see all my fellow classmates receive their degrees, so that was nice. When we came downstairs Pete had gotten me not one but two hydrangea plants. One indoor potted one that is in full bloom, and another one to plant outside to commemorate our first Mother's Day. We went to Starbucks for breakfast and dropped by church just as it was getting out (Ellie's still too young to attend) so we could introduce her to the choir. After that we visited the peony garden at Ashland to take some pictures.

(thanks for the outfit Uncle Corky!)

Pete had more Mother's Day things after that -

A picture frame with clay on one-side for Ellie's handprints! We'll put a picture from Ashland this afternoon in the frame side.

For dinner Pete grilled chicken shish-ka-bobs and I fixed corn-on-the-cob. Ellie was being fussy so I wore her in her Baby Bjorn while getting dinner ready. She was still upset when the food was ready, so Pete wore her while we ate - and protected her from any corn kernels that might have fallen. :)

So that was our weekend - hope yours was as fun as ours!!

1 comment:

Tammy said...

WOW!! sounds like a great weekend. Love the pictures - derby outfits are hilarious!! - what a score from a rummage sale!... We can't wait to meet her :) Congrats on graduation - awesome :)