Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Memorial Day Weekend

Wow.  We had a great Memorial Day Weekend.  Spent some really good family time together.  Tried to fit in all the requirements:  hot dogs, pool, playground, parade, hamburgers, corn on the cob, picnic blankets, neighbor's house on fire.... SQUEEEEER (that's a record scratching).  Neighbor's house on fire?!?!?!  Check-a-WHAT??!!!

Saturday was a pretty typical day.  We did some yard work in the morning, then Ellie and I read in the shady front yard while Pete finished up the trimming.


Don't remember what we did the rest of the day, Pete's phone pics tell me we swung into Old Navy, and I know we grilled hot dogs in the backyard for dinner.


After the girls were in bed, I was reading Southern Living in the living room whilst sipping on a glass of sangria.  Pete came in the room to tell me he was going on his run, and I mentioned that it sounded like someone was calling for shooting targets outside.  ("Pull!")  Pete said he thought it was probably Jack (teenage neighbor) playing basketball with his friends.  He goes outside, and suddenly comes back in the front door - "Josh's house is on fire!!!"  WHAT?!?!  I ran outside, and, sure enough, a huge cloud of black smoke was rising up behind his house.  Pete asked Josh if they'd called 911 - they had - and I ran back inside to get our fire extinguisher.  They had already used one neighbor's, but another would certainly help.  As I got over to their house with the extinguisher, I heard the fire trucks start to roll in, so I gave it to the cause and headed back to our house, not wanting to be in the way of the firefighters.  Long story short:  everything is okay, Josh's grill caught fire and started to burn their wooden deck and warp some of the siding on their second story, but all was contained and outside, and everything is fine.  But it made for quite a show!  Standard response to a 'grill fire, house not-on-fire' is 4 trucks and 20 firefighters.  I took pictures afterwards because Ellie loves firetrucks - especially the hook-and-ladder truck. 

 

I had Pete take a picture of me (on what is clearly my shower night) in front of the hook-and-ladder as the truck was pulling away.  One of the firefighters leaned his head out and said, "you're going to take a picture of the truck without us?!?" and I said, "you want to be in the picture?"  So that's why there is a random photo of me with three of Lexington's finest in my front yard.  Quite a start to the weekend.


Sunday wasn't a big day photo-wise.  But we did make it out to the pool for about forty-five minutes in the evening, and ate dinner at the club.  No pictures of Caroline's first-ever dip in a pool, but she enjoyed it.  Hopefully I'll be able to snap a shot of her second trip.   Juggling two kids and their floaties, and hats, and cover-ups, and sunscreen will surely get easier as the summer progresses.

We really lived it up on Monday.  We were at the park before nine.  Caroline slept and Ellie ran all around the playground.  Can you find her in the picture? 


We also fed the ducks before going to one of Ellie's new favorite places:  Home Depot.  Land of the Car Cart (!!)  Ellie gets so excited about sitting in one of these with Caroline.  We have gone at least once in each of the last three weeks.  Usually we really do need something, though.  This trip, for example, was for a new fire extinguisher :-)


I don't recall exactly how the next bit of our morning came to be, but it started on the way home from Home Depot when we realized there was not a parade for Memorial Day.  We were looking for the kazoos - they used to live in my glove box (you never know when you'll need a kazoo or two).  So I had Pete look in our party box instead, and he didn't find the kazoos, but brought out a slide whistle.  Next thing I know, Pete is bounding down to the basement, and comes back up playing his trombone (he would probably like me to add for the first time in about six years).  The two of them end up in our front yard, having their very own 'parade'.


Parade marching can really wear you out. 



THEN Josh came by with Caitlyn in her new bike trailer, and Ellie joined Caitlyn in the trailer for two rides around the block, then Pete took them around once more to see how it felt pulling two kiddos.  (We're hoping to get a bike trailer for the girls very soon.)

All of that before lunch!!  The rest of the day was standard - after Ellie woke up from an uber-long nap, we ate burgers and corn on the cob for dinner, and the Douglas family came over afterwards for beer and dessert.

So that was our weekend!  Lots of family, and friends, and food.  Hope yours was great, too!

No comments: