Sunday, November 29, 2009

holiday wrap-up (warning: many pictures!!)

Sorry the recent blogs have been short on pictures -- we had a computer with us in Pennsylvania, but I didn't pack my camera's docking station.

Thanksgiving morning we got up and drove to Honey Brook for the Turkey Bowl 5K - Pete ran 18:15 - which is not half bad since he's still recovering from his marathon! (I couldn't run an 18:15 5K if my life depended on it -- I finished the 5K in 37:01 and was pretty happy about it) We used our car to get to the race but Honey Brook is made up of several Amish communities - we saw a little boy at the end of his drive in the typical straw hat and gray suit - about 4 years old - precious! My mom loved the Amish community - their art, etc, it always makes me think of her.

Family began arriving at Aunt Susie and Uncle Joe's house around 4pm, we ate around 5:30pm. Different family members brought different things: Rich and Kim brought sweet potato casserole and cheese and crackers, Pamela and her gang brought pumpkin pies, Corky was in charge of the wine (surprise) - he special ordered this beauty several weeks ago:

He and Jack had to put it on the FLOOR to get it open!! It had a giant cork! (I didn't have any, but they say it was tasty) There were 38 (!) of us for dinner which Aunt Susie said was a low year - last year there were 55!! We had a really nice dinner - all the usual things: turkey, stuffing, pie, etc. Here is proof that we were there (prolly the only pic of us all weekend):
After dinner there was (of course) Rummikub.
Day after Thanksgiving was the shoe-shopping expedition I wrote about a few days ago, but we also visited the Tom Sturgis Pretzel Co. (america's first pretzel factory?) to get some snacks to take home.
THEN we went on a Christmas Tree Hunt!!! We were after two trees - one for Aunt Susie and Uncle Joe and one for the Shields.
It was a success! Jack cut down the tree for his family and Corky cut the tree for A. Susie and U. Joe.
Chris and Johnny carrying their tree.
Pete and Uncle Joe carrying the other tree.

On the way back we stopped by the Pagoda -- can you believe I've been going to Reading since I was a toddler and I had never seen it?!?!
So we saw it and quickly got back in the car because it was COLD. So....that was it! We had a great time, saw some family, flew home yesterday. Can't wait till our next visit!

4 comments:

Pocket said...

No wine, eh? Hmm...curious.

Meredith said...

I was thinking the EXACT same thing as Pocket.

Laura said...

Calm down everyone -- I don't particularly like red wine, so I opted for the champagne instead. :)

Tammy said...

Looks like a fun trip! That bottle of wine is hilarious :) wish we had a tree farm like that near by :( oh well. off to the tent/lot